Here are the signs of an allergic reaction:
- MOUTH: itching and swelling of lips, tongue, or mouth
- THROAT: itching and/or a sense of tightness in the throat, hoarseness, and hacking cough
- SKIN: hives, itchy rash, and/or swelling about the face or extremities
- STOMACH: nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
- LUNG: shortness of breath, repetitive coughing, and/or wheezing
- HEART: “thready” pulse, “passing out”
The severity of these symptoms can quickly change. All of these symptoms can potentially progress to a life-threatening situation.
ACTION: If Epi-Pen is prescribed, administer immediately. Call 911 and parents. Do not hesitate to administer medication or call rescue squad.